Пытанне 1. Read the article in detail and answer the questions which follow:
'Youth's behaviour with pellet pistol'stupid, dangerous and outrageous'.
Shooting a pellet gun at an 11-year-old boy on a bike is a "stupid, dangerous and outrageous to behave," Judge Anthony Palmer scolded a Col wood-area teenager in Western Communities Courthouse April 29. "I don't know if you've seen too many movies or not, "he continued," but anything involving a handgun is completely reprehensible. "
The 17-year-old boy was ordered to serve a six-month period of probation, 25 hours of community works and to apologize in person to his victim. He was also ordered not to possess weapons, ammunition or explosives for five years. Crown counsel Bruce Filan told the court the young cyclist was riding on Atkins Road Dec.22, 1991, and noticed three young males sitting in a car. As he passed, he said "hi" to the group and continued on his way. Then he heard a loud "ping" coming from the direction of the vehicle, turned around and saw one of the boys aiming a gun in his direction and heard two more "pings". Filan described the boy as "very frightened," especially when the car started up and drove towards him. Not very far from home, he raced to tell his father what had happened. The father then pursued the teenagers in his car; forcing them to stop and answer questions.
According to man, police later determined the accused teenager was the only one with a weapon - an air pistol that still had pellets in its chamber when recovered by police at the boy's residence. The young victim was very upset by the ordeal and is receiving counseling, Filan added.
Defence counsel Dianne McDonald said her client was not aiming the pistol at the younger boy and had no intention of harming him. Only two shots were fired, she insisted. When her client realized his actions had scared the boy he tried to apologize but was told not to contact the victim, she added.
She also explained the teenagers were not really chasing the boy in the car; but when the driver realised the boy was scared, he tried to follow to explain no one was aiming at him.
McDonald reported her client has been doing well since tile incident and he hopes to return to school in the fall. For now he is enrolled in correspondence classes and is seeking employment, McDonald told the court.
1. The 17-year-old youth was accused of
A. possessing a handgun without the correct license.
В. endangering another person's life with a gun.
С. driving a car in a dangerous manner.
D. being drunk and disorderly in a public place.
2. The father of the 11-year-old victim appears to have
A. questioned his son at length about the incident.
В. made an immediate complaint to the local police.
С. forced the teenagers involved to go to the police station.
D. chased after the young men in his car to get an explanation.
3. The police apparently found a loaded air pistol
A. in the 17-year-old youth's pocket.
В. at the home of the 17-year-old youth.
С. in the boot of his car.
D. at the home of one of his friends.
4. Apparently, the 11-year-old boy
A. is still receiving professional help.
В. is now too afraid to go out alone.
С. will no longer ride his bicycle.
D. has finally recovered from the experience.
5. The 17-year-old boy was
A. sent to prison for six months.
В. ordered to pay a large fine.
С. given probation and community service.
D. found not guilty of the crime.
Пытанне 2. Next to each word, write the number from the corresponding part of the letter. The first has been done for you.
_ Typed signature
_ Position / title
_ Main paragraph
_ Salutation_ recipient's address
_ Complimentary ending
_ Written signature
_ Introductory paragraph
_ Sender's address
(L) WIDGETRY LTD
6 Pine Estate, Westhornet, Bedfordshire, UB 18 22
(2) Telephone 9017 23456 Telex X23X WE) Fax 9017
Michael Scott, Sales Manager,
Smith and Brown plc,
(3) Napier House
North Molton Street,
Oxbridge OB84 9TD.
(4) Your ref. MS / WID / 15/88
Our ref. ST / MN / 10/88
(5) 31 January 1998
(6) Dear Mr. Scott,
(7) Thank you for your letter of 20 January, explaining that the super widgets, catalogue reference X-3908, are no longer available but that ST-1432, made to the same specifications but using a slightly different alloy, are now available instead . Before I place a firm order I should like to see samples of the new super widgets. If the replacement is as good as you say it is, I shall certainly wish to submit a new order.
(8) I would prefer to continue to deal with Smith and Brown, whose service has always been satisfactory in the past. But you will understand that I must safeguard Widgetry's interests and make sure that the quality is good.
(9) I would, therefore, be grateful if you could let me have a sample as soon as possible.
(10) Yours sincerely,
(11) Simon Thomas
(12) Simon Thomas
(13) Production Manager
Заданне 3. This letter has been revised so many times by Mr. Thomas that it has become all mixed up, and his word processor has failed to reorganize it. Arrange the letter so that everything is in the correct order.
(1) Simon Thomas
(2) WIDGETRY LTD
(3) 6 Pine Estate, Westhornet, Bedfordshire, UBI8 22 BC.
Telephone 9017 23456 Telex X238 WID Fax 9017 67 893
(4) I look forward to hearing from you.
(5) Your ref. MS / WID / 15/88
Our ref. ST / MN / 10/88
(6) Yours sincerely,
(7) James Bowers, Sales Manager
Orchard Road Estate,
Oxbridge UB84 10SF.
(8) Production Manager
(9) Thank you for your letter. I am afraid that we have a problem with your order.
(10) 6 June 1998
(11) Unfortunately, the manufacturers of the part you wish to order have advised us that they can not supply it until September. Would you prefer us to supply a substitute, or would you rather wait until the original parts are again available?
(12) Dear Mr. Bowers
Заданне 4. Contrast. Look at the following ways of expressing contrast:
a) Turnover increased. However, profitability fell.
Водгукаў ад пакупнікоў не паступала